Monday, May 24, 2010

A wedding with McCalls 5570

One of my besties got married this weekend and I was honored to be a bridesmaid. One of my gifts to her was making the flower girl dress. But after spending countless hours on the dress, ask me how many pictures I took? I'll wait.........



























ONE. And it was with my camera phone! So I've spent the morning stalking facebook pics of the wedding hoping to find a few decent ones.  I apologize now for the low picture quality.





Pattern Description: Children's/Girls' Lined Dresses and Sash. So very descriptive right? There are three different bodice variations (sleeveless, cap sleeve, or spaghetti straps) with the same full skirt. The dress is fully lined with tons of ruffles to make the full skirt and finished off nicely with a waist sash.

Pattern Sizing: Available in sizes 2-8. I cut somewhere between the 2-4 range.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were donesewing with it? Yes

 


Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes they were. After a while the construction started to follow a logical process so I ceased to refer to the written instructions and occassionally glanced at the drawings.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The dress is adorable, what's not to like? But in all honesty I can't say that I was prepared for sewing through so many layers of fabric. I actually broke a couple of needles which is rare for me. That didn't really have anything to do with the pattern itself which appeared to be well drafted. I do wish they would print finished measurements on children's patterns as it was really tough for me to gauge. I will say that sewing the ruffles wasn't all that fun. Particularly when by the end of the reception they were non existent. Little Missy keep pulling her dress up to make it poofier but hey she's four and she still looked adorable even with her dress dragging the floor.

Fabric Used: For the lining I used an ivory china silk, for the dress itself an ivory slipper satin, for the sash a yellow slipper satin, and for the ruffles a green netting.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: None as far as construction.  I did opt to add a purchased green bow to the back of the dress.  I used it to hold the sash in place instead of tying a bow.  It also really help draw all of the wedding colors together.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would not sew it again but I would recommend it if you have the patience and time to make it.

Conclusion: Very cute dress that was appropriate for the occassion. Though it took quite a bit of time to make the end result was worth it.

Bottom Line:
1 yd of yellow slipper satin = 4.23

2.5 yds of ivory slipper satin = 10.58

6.5 yds of china silk = 13.70

8 yds of netting = 3.54

1 - 14” zipper =1.70

Total=33.75



2 comments:

Branka said...

Awww she is adorable!!
What a cute dress, awww see now i got all emotional!
Nice job on the dress:)

nikol.joi said...

She looks beautiful! Awesome job on the dress.