Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fashion Commentary

I have refrained for the most part from making fashion commentary on my blog. That seems a bit odd considering the nature of it, but alas all good things must come to an end. I could not let yesterday's fashion highs and lows go by without making some comments. While some of these quotes are my own, I must give credit to my friends for most of them.

First Lady Michelle Obama:
The world had been holding its collective breath in anticipation of what she would wear on Inaguration Day. I must say Mrs. Obama did her thing in her Isabel Toledo ensemble. The color was very refreshing and suited her well. I wasn't crazy about the shoes but I loved the gloves. She is a pro at mixing high end labels with lines real people can afford.



















Her Inauguration dress:

I'm still on the fence about this one. She kept it light and airy with the color and flowing design. Also a bold move with the one shoulder but it suited her frame. I guess I was expecting more of a WOW with a bold color choice. It was so so to me but give me another day and that may change. 'I have passed out from utter disgust. The dress was JUST OK. Nothing special for a First Lady.'






































I asked my Husband if we will still be that much in love in 30 years. He said yes!

President Obama:

He kept it classic for both the swearing in and inaugaration balls. I loved the white on white tie and shirt he showed the world he's got rhythm. (I wish I could say the say for everyone) I would have been too through if he dipped the First Lady, but the twirls were right on.












'If there was ever any doubt..The President has shown he got SWAG!'



















Sasha and Malia Obama:

I thought they both looked age appropriate. Little Miss Sasha with her pink and orange was the highlight for me. It suited her well. And I can just see Malia taking after her Mother and being a fashion icon. I wish I could have seen them in formal duds for the balls but kids do have school.

















Jill Biden:
I loved her knee boots but didn't think they were appropriate for the occassion. Don't ask me why but that's just how I feel. I did LOVE her red coat though. I want one now.













Her red inauguration dress was fantastic. The color suited her, the fit was one, and it just flowed. Now if only her husband could dance we would be in business.



















'Jill's people got it right. Perfect color , flawless length. Did you see how the dress flowed, looked like she was floating on air. '

Other celebrities:

Alicia Keys-I am glad to see that she is evolving into fashion in her own right but 'is Alicia moonlighting as a maid after the Ball?' I know you want to make your LBD your own but that apron was not the way to go.


















Beyonce Knowles-Carter-Okay come on B or Sasha Fierce whichever you are today. I have seen you step out in some gowns that are beyond spectacular. This should have been one of those occassions. I mean really you are performing for THE PRESIDENT AND FIRST LADY. Maybe you didn't want to chance upstaging the first lady but the color, the fit, everything was all wrong. And did you forget your bra? Oh my....













'Beyonce's rag was a mess too. Her roots were flat though.'

Aretha Franklin-aka Bow-retha. Enough said.



















Mariah Carey Cannon-Where do I begin? With that too little dress or the fact that you should never sing 'Hero' like that again. EVER.



















No I'm serious. EVER!

Mary J. Blige-If you still got it then work it. But honey you were so off key with that last note. My ears are still sore.

















Jay-Z-Those glasses will never be fetch. Let it go. 'He looks like an old Jewish lawyer and that's an insult to Jewish lawyers. I'm sorry.'



















Photos courtesy of AP and Reuters

No comments: