Monday, April 27, 2009

Butterick 5242

I finally got my memory card reader working again so I can post pics for my reviews. I finished this dress about 2 or 3 weeks ago and wore it running some errands shortly after. It turned out really well as a comfy casual dress. When I wore it, I had on a black cami underneath just because I don't like how low cute the bodice is but other than that it was great. And it doesn't have the maternity look that I feared it would.

Pattern Description:
Dress, above mid-knee or mid-knee, has front pleats, fitted, lined bodice, midriff, flared skirt and above elbow or three-quarter sleeves, narrow hem. B: contrast midriff and sleeve bands.

Pattern Sizing: BB(8-10-12-14), F5(16-18-20-22-24) I made a 18 bodice and 14 in skirt

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes. I only followed them for constructing the bodice and lining.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the pleating on the skirt and bodice although it did take me a little bit of work to get the pleats right with my FBA. I really love the midriff band. It kept it from looking like a maternity dress.

Fabric Used: A light purple matte jersey from Denver Fabrics.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made a FBA and shortened the skirt.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I won't sew this again. About halfway through I decided it would be a 'run around town' dress and not something for work. That was mainly because of how low cut the bodice still ended up being despite my efforts. It is still a cute a dress I just don't need more than one of them. I would recommend it for a party dress as it can be very cute and flirty depending on your fabric choice.

Here is a super close-up pic of the lower bodice and skirt. I really love those details in the dress and am happy and how well they turned out.

Conclusion: Overall I had no problems with the pattern itself. It made a great casual dress for me and didn't take too long to construct once I got it myself together.











No comments: