Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Butterick 5328

Pattern Description: Semi-fitted wrap tops with inside ties and tie ends, front gathers into bands, back darts and yoke, collar and sleeve variations.

Pattern Sizing: (8-22) I cut a 16

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Of course!


Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were fine.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the wrap style of the top. It is a great way to add a stylish top to my work wardrobe. That being said, this shirt took me what seemed like forever to finish. The collar still isn't like I want but that could just be me being picky. Most of my dislikes had to do with getting things lined up. Just make sure to take your time and mark everything particularly on the collar.

Fabric Used: a winter white cotton sateen

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I raised/widened the front bands so the top wasn't as low cut as other reviewers have noted it tended to be. I used french seams throughout since I couldn't track down any additional white thread for my serger and had to make do with the lone spool I had in my stash. While I like how clean the inside looks, this did give me some headache as there were times when I was stitching through 6 layers of fabric. I also opted to use ribbon for the inside ties as the fabric was too bulky and looked like I had something growing out of my side. Lastly I shortened the top by about 1/2 an inch.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I have a number of other projects I want to do but I can definitely see myself making this top again, perhaps in a print. I do recommend it to others.

Conclusion: I can see how some sewers had to fiddle to make this top work and thanks to other reviews I had a heads up on things to expect. Like I said just be sure to mark everything and you should be ok. Depending on the thickness of your fabric you may have to use ribbon for the inside ties. This definitely isn't an instant gratification project but I am pleased with the finished result.


Bottom Line:
2yds @ $1.95/yd=$3.90



No comments: