Monday, June 21, 2010

Quick Review: Simplicity 3503

Just a quick review of this pattern since I have made it before.

Pattern Description: Misses Day or Evening Dress in two lengths with bodice variations. I made view C which is full length with a halter neck



Pattern Sizing: Available in 6-22.  I cut a 12 based on previous experiences with this pattern running large.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. I personally think the fabirc really makes the dress in this case, but I'm biased, lol.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very. I have used this pattern once before and found this dress to be fairly simple to construct. I actually think this version was easier than view E which I made last time. (Previous review of E) The instructions seemed to be grouped in sets by bodice, midriff, then skirt so just follow the set that corresponds to y our view and you will be fine.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? As most reviews had indicated this pattern runs a little on the large size. I remembered having to take my last version in a few inches and so I kept that in mind this go round. That's not really a dislike but I thought it should be noted (again). I really liked how fast this went together-maybe 2 hours from start to finish.

P.S. I love my serger and rotary cutter!

Fabric Used: White Floral Print on Red "ITY" Stretch Jersey Knit purchased from Denver Fabrics.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:  I omitted the pockets and took about 3 inches off the hem.

It should also be noted I was able to make this dress with less than 2 1/2 of fabric. The envelope would lead you to buy 3 yards for the dress and lining. True I took off a few inches from the hem but I still had close to 1/2 yard left. Nothing I can really do with that little fabric but still.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I plan to sew this ONE more time in view B for myself and that will be it. I've had success with this pattern and really really like it and would certainly recommend it to others.

Conclusion: A Best Pattern of 2009 so that says it all.

Bottom Line:

Fabric: 2.5 yds @ $2.35=$5.88

Notions: thread and elastic from my stash

Total: $5.88




1 comment:

L said...

Oh no! I am so sorry to read that you lost your saved content. I am a teacher and have *years* of stuff electronically saved. I don't even try to think about what would happen were I to lose that data.

I am glad to read that you have been able to come to terms with it and I hope that you are able to start again.