Friday, June 18, 2010

Butterick 5454

It's about a week late but here is the review I promised of the dress I wore to graduation.

Pattern Description: Close-fitting dresses A, B, C have wrap fronts, front tucks, front and back pleats, self-ties, A-line skirt and sleeve variations. A: short flounce sleeves. B: three-quarter length sleeves. C: long flared sleeves and border print. Lengths are 2" above mid-knee.

I made view A


Pattern Sizing:  Available in 8-24.  I cut a generous 14 but ended up taking the skirt in several inches.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Absolutely.  I realized that while I made view A, my fabric matched that from view B

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Very!  An absolute beginner could sew this garment with little no issues.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I loved everything about this pattern and had no dislikes.

Fabric Used:  A magenta colored ITY purchased from Denver Fabrics online.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:  I had to bring the skirt sides in an inch and half or so.  As a result my front skirt pleats were no longer to the side but rather centered.  Instead of ripping out the seams I decided to leave it as is.  I also finished off the sleeves, skirt hem, and bodice with a rolled edge.  The material was thin and I liked the breezy look and feel of it and thought that a more standard finish would take away from that.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I do plan on sewing this again...several times in fact!  I think I can now officially retire vogue 8379, lol.


Conclusion:  A solid well drafted pattern that went together in no time.  The instructions were great and the result was a great dress to wear to my baby sister's graduation.

Bottom Line:
Pattern:  .99
Fabric: 2 ydss @ $2.35/yd
Notions: thread from my stash

Total:  $5.69


6 comments:

Branka said...

This dress looks great on you, love the color too!

Joyce in NC said...

Very cute. The color is great for you.

Kristin said...

The dress is so flirty, you look beautiful in it. Cute jewelry too. Great work with your neckline treatment, so much nicer for summer than an annoying facing.

Adrienne said...

Gorgeous color!

Cennetta said...

Great maxi at a great "little" price.

HeathersSphere said...

Such a snazzy dress on you! That's it, you convinced me to sew this.