Monday, October 11, 2010

Feeling like a homemaker

Butterick 5474
Maybe because it's fall, or rather supposed to be but this 85 degree weather has me quite confused.  Anyway I have been doing some serious decorating around the house.  Mainly hanging the many pieces of artwork we have collected, changing out the drapes, sewing tablecloths and placemats, etc.  I kept having to come down off the step ladder to get more nails and whatnot so I finally decided to make myself a cute little apron with pockets.  I used butterick 5474 as a starting point although my finished apron didn't look much like the pattern envelope.


Pattern Description: Package includes patterns and instructions for five aprons A, B, C, D, E in size small (8-10), medium (12-14) and large (16-18). A: purchased contrast bias binding. B: contrast pocket. C: contrast pockets and ruffles. D, E: contrast upper apron. B, C, D, E: contrast waistband and ties.


Pattern Sizing: S/M/L.  I cut a large but could seriously cut a medium next time and be fine.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Depends on which angle you view it from, lol

Were the instructions easy to follow?  I glanced at them, nothing complicated

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?   Very easy to sew and I love that there are several views to choose from.

Fabric Used:  Some leftover red twill and quilting square fabric I had from a wader

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:  Opted not to trim the apron in ribbon or add the bows as they really aren't my style.  Besides I used a solid fabric with print pockets so I didn't think it was necessary.  I finished the apron edges off with a topstitch on my serger and added a center front pocket across the chest.  It reminds me of the overalls my Mom made me wear as a kid.  Very southern but so comfortable and I will admit that pocket came in handy for stashing my candy.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I have already cut out and plan to view D very soon although it doesn't have any pockets.  I recommend it if you want a cute apron.  I could see adding more pockets to view B or D and it being handy while doing crafts.



Conclusion: Easy pattern that was a very easy sew.  It was a good starting base for an impromptu project although a pattern probably wasn't necessary for such a simple project.  Hey I admit I am a sucker for a pattern sale, lol.


Bottom Line:
Pattern: .89
Fabric: leftovers from my stash. 
Notions: thread from my stash

Total: .89 and about one hour to construct.

No comments: