Friday, May 11, 2012

It's been a long time...


It has been a really long time since I posted.  Lots has happened in my life but I won't bore you with the details.  I have been sewing and crafting, just not blogging.  I did want to post a quick review of this dress a made for wedding back in September.  I have pictures of me in the dress but they are all at the wedding.  I won't post them here out of respect for the newlyweds but I think this picture is good enough.



Pattern Description:
Lined, flared, floor length dress (shaped hemline), close-fitting at bust, has back zipper, neck ruffle and bodice front extending to form neckline drape. Gathered drape is sewn over empire waist seam.

Pattern Sizing:
Available in 6-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Heck yes! After all the hours I put into it, it had better

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes and no. There were several sections that I had to read, re-read, set the paper down, walk away, come back, read, and re-read again before it made sense.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the finished product. I disliked the instructions in several sections.

Fabric Used:
Silk chiffon for the dress and china silk for the lining

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Shortened the dress by several inches and brought the bodice in some so I wasn't flashing everyone at the wedding/reception.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? No way! Don't get me wrong I love, love, love the finished product, however the stress and headaches it caused would prevent me from doing this again. I honestly worked on this dress for a few hours each night over the course of 2 1/2 weeks. The silk chiffon was nearly a nightmare to work with and I used so much fray check it's not even funny. Also I am pretty sure both my sewing machine and serger don't like me anymore.

Conclusion:
Making this dress will take patience and skill. It is not a quick project and you will need to be patient especially when using delicate fabric such as the silks I used.




1 comment: