Thursday, December 6, 2012

Simplicity 2256


Pattern Description: Project Runway jacket in two lengths with neckline and sleeve variations

Pattern Sizing: Available in 4-22.  I cut a 16.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.  I made the long jacket with long sleeves, collar, lapel, with front and back flaps.

Front view (ignore the fact that Caroline is lopsided)

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't use them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I haven't had the best luck with PR patterns but this one came together fairly well.  It didn't offer as many options for a business casual jacket but I am pleased with the result.  It was well drafted and the sizing was such that I didn't have to make many alterations to get a good fit.  I disliked that the pattern wasn't lined but I was able to add a lining.

Fabric Used: A turquoise twill for the jacket and a turquoise poly for the lining.

View of front facing and lining

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I opted to line the jacket.  I only added two buttons to the center front instead of three.  The top button would have been right underneath the lapel so I lowered it about half an inch.  Because of my body shape and short torso, the placement of the middle button would been in an weird spot that wasn't lining up with the buttons on the front tabs, nor was it in a place that was comfortable for my bust.  Instead I lowered the third button and just omitted what would have been the middle button.

Closeup of button 


View of back jacket lining

How I lined the jacket:  I saw at least one other reviewer that had lined the jacket but I couldn't find any information on how she did it.  After a Google search, I pieced together instructions from a few tutorials on how to add a lining to a jacket that doesn't originally call for one.  It wasn't until I was almost done that I realized I didn't take any pictures of these steps, but hopefully my description will help someone who wants to add a lining to this particular jacket but can't quite figure it out.


For the sleeve lining pieces,  I cut them not quite one side larger in the shoulder and cut them about two inches shorter than the jacket.  The jacket was already faced so I taped together the side bodice and lower jacket pieces and cut that out for the bodice side lining.  I then taped together the lower jacket back and upper back pieces.  I overlapped the back facing piece, matching up the notches, etc. so the pieces would line up correctly.  I centered this piece over the fold of my lining fabric and then cut where the back facing overlapped the upper back piece.  The lower back pieces included extra width to gather, which worked out well for adding the center pleat to the lining.  I then followed this tutorial  to bag the jacket lining. Hopefully that will help any beginner sewers out there.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Although I am pleased with how this jacket turned out, I don't think I will sew it again.  There are other jackets that are already lined so I can save myself some of the guess work.

Conclusion: Nice lightweight jacket that will serve me well for work.

Bottom Line:
2.5 yards of poplin @ $4.98/yd (-15% coupon)=10.58
Thread, Facing, buttons, and ling  from my stash

TOTAL: $10.58







1 comment:

Joyce in NC said...

This jacket is so cute. You have been very productive.