Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Cape: New Look 6007


Pattern Description:  Misses Cape in two lengths with collar variations and belt.

Pattern Sizing: Available in XS-XL.  Based on the sizing I cut a Medium

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? YES!!!  I made view C and the result was beautiful.  Seriously I pranced around the house for a good 30 minutes because I was so pleased with the result.


Were the instructions easy to follow? To me the construction was pretty straight forward, so after glancing at them I went to work.  Also I knew I was going to line my cape so at some point I would stray from the instructions anyway.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I have been wanting a cape for quite some time now but couldn't find any off the rack that I liked or was willing to pay for.  I forget where I first saw this pattern, but I loved the fact that it would be belted and therefore I wouldn't get lost in the fabric.  I was also drawn to the variations and simple yet fashionable nature of the pattern.  I had to go to 5 different stores before I located the pattern but it was well work the hunt.


Fabric Used: A double faced wool that I purchased from Fabric Mart for the cape and a poly pongee for the lining.


Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I lined the cape.  I would also like to note that I made view C with only about 2 1/4 yards of fabric and I am 5'3.  I did not shorten the pattern pieces at all.  I also opted to use sew in facing instead of fusible.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I don't think I need more than one cape in my life right now so I don't have any immediate plans to sew it again.  I highly recommend it to others.  I was able to make a beautiful garment that rivals any RTW cape out there.  It was also very easy to add a lining that only added to the beauty and quality of the cape.




Conclusion:  Solid pattern that went together with no issues at all.  I felt it was drafted well and with the variations would appeal to many.

Bottom Line:
Pattern: $3.39
Fabric:
2 1/4 yd wool @ $5.25/yd= $11.81
~2 yds pongee @ $1.00/yd=$2.00
Thread, facing, and belt from my stash

TOTAL: $17.20


1 comment:

Meigan said...

Your cape is lovely. I found your blog through PR and I am so impressed with all of the jackets you have made! :)