Monday, October 21, 2013

New Look 6143

Pattern Description:  Misses dress with pleated flared skirt, round bias-bound neckline, tie belt or back tie options, sleeveless, cap, or 3/4 length sleeves.  I made view A which is the sleeveless version and opted to accessorize it with a black belt.

Pattern Sizing: 10-22; I cut a 16


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

Dress without belt

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I was drawn to the classic look of this dress and decided to sew as is without any changes.  Like a previous reviewer on PR I found the neckline was a bit wide and didn't lie flat as it should have.  Also I should have looked more closely at the pattern envelope but the pleats of the bodice and skirt did not line up.  This to me make it look unprofessional.  Thankfully most of the pleating is hidden in the floral fabric and belt but if I make this again I will change that.


Fabric Used: A satin glaze fabric in beige/black floral purchased from Fabric Mart Fabrics

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: None


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I may sew it again but I will cut the neck smaller to prevent the gaping, line up the pleats of the bodice and skirt, as well as add pockets.  I would recommend it to others if you like the style.


Conclusion: A pattern that has a lot of potential and can produce a great result.  It's just as my sewing skills are improving, issues like those noted above bother me.

Bottom Line:
Fabric: 2 1/4 yds at $5.99/yd=$13.48
Notions: Zipper $1.59 and thread from my stash=$1.59

TOTAL: $15.07