Sunday, November 2, 2008

Butterick 4983

I'm still attempting to get organized and have all my reviews/pics in one central area. I came across this pic from my sister in law's ceremony in April and thought I would share. (Ignore the wrinkles as we took this pic after the ceremony.)

Pattern Description: Close-fitting, slightly flared, floor length, lined bias dress.
Pattern Sizing:AA(6-8-10-12), EE(14-16-18-20)I cut an 18 and made modifications to fit me as I went along
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. When I first started to cut out my pieces I was going to make view C. However I ended up cutting out the skirt for view A and thus had to piece together the top for view A because the zipper was now in the back instead of on the side.
Were the instructions easy to follow?When I was paying attention they were very easy. :) Yes they were very straight forward and the dress went together very well. After the first few steps I stopped referring to them at all.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I liked the pattern and it was a fairly easy sew. I found that the back gaped but that wasn't really an issue since I wore a shawl.
Fabric Used:A raspberry bridal satin fabric that was on clearance at Hancock's.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:I self lined the top and didn't line the skirt at all. Honestly I avoid lining whenever possible. I also added a butterfly broach to view A instead of the bow from view B. I will say that I found the strap to be pretty useless. It kept slipping off my shoulder. Even looking back you would have to place it at an odd angle for it to stay up.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I wouldn't sew it again since I don't have many places to go that require such a formal dress. That and I have too many other things I want to sew. But it was really simple dress to put together and would be a really good pattern for a easy prom or homecoming dress.
Conclusion:
Very easy pattern that I would recommend if you need a simple formal gown to wear.

No comments: