Friday, December 5, 2008

Butterick 5243 version 2

Pattern Description:
Dress with loose-fitting bodice with gathers, short sleeves, yoke, midriff with gathered overlay mid-knee length flared skirt.

Pattern Sizing:
BB(8-10-12-14), FF(16-18-20-22)

I cut a 16 for the bust and hips and a 14 waist.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Very much.

Were the instructions easy to follow? This was my second time sewing this pattern but the first time making the short sleeve version. I really didn't follow the instructions since they were pretty straight forward and easy to follow the first go round. But overall I think the instructions were well written.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This is a fantastic pattern that went together so easy. I think maybe 4 hours over a few days. The gathers do take a bit of time especially with a slinky knit like I used but other than that I had no problems.

Fabric Used: A red nylon-lycra knit purchased from fabric.com

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made a FBA although with a knit it is not always necessary. I also had the bodice crossover more in the front then the pattern called for just to be on the safe side in case I decide to wear this to work.
My dress form isn't as 'full' as I am up top so the bodice lies a little flat on her but fits me perfectly. I also shortened it just a bit and thus ended up using less than 2 yards of fabric to make this dress.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I don't think I will sew this again just because I have already made each view once. I may revisit it when the weather warms up just because it is such a fun dress and an easy sew.

Conclusion: I highly recommend this pattern, particularly the short sleeve version. It went together very well. A beginner may find the gathers more time consuming but even still I don't think they would have any problems sewing this dress.



















1 comment:

Mary Nanna said...

I popped over from pattern review to get a closer look at the dress.. couldn't get the photo on your review to open. Looks a lovely colour. Bet it looks great on too.