Monday, December 1, 2008

New Look 6823

Pattern Description: Misses Knit Dress

Pattern Sizing: 8-18. I ended up cutting a 16 in the bust and hips and a 14 waist but took it in a bit since there is quite a bit of ease.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Absolutely!
Were the instructions easy to follow? Very. The dress is pretty straight forward. I really only looked at the directions when it came time to construct the neck/bodice.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This was a very quick sew and I always like that. It could easily be done in under three hours, althought it took me a while longer due to a rookie mistake. I did not like how the instructions left the front facing section unsecured. (Maybe I missed it but I don't think it was there) I felt they should have been stitched in with the shoulder seam. I ended up slip stitching it down at the end.

Fabric Used: A grey lightweight double knit from fashion fabric club. It took forever to arrive but it was worth the wait.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I shortened the sleeves to just above the elbow and of course shortened the length. When I make this again I will lengethen the bust/bodice about an inch. Right now it doesn't hit as low as I would like. I will also either omit the back darts depending on the print or shorten them. I didn't realize how low they were but oh well.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I do plan on sewing this again as soon as I find a knit print worthy. I don't hesitate to recommend this pattern. It is simple yet very flattering.
Conclusion: I highly recommend this pattern. I think even a beginner can sew this up with no problems. The instuctions for constructing the bodice, which was the only real part that required thought, were very detailed with the exception of securing the front facing.