Monday, January 25, 2010

LBD:Vogue 8409

I started out planning on making this dress for myself, but when someone offers to pay you to make a dress for them...well you know what that means. In theory the dress is finished but we have one more fitting to see if I need to make any adjustments in the arms.

Pattern Description: Mid-knee length dress has pleated bodice, middle inset, straight skirt, back zipper and back slit. A: cuffed, below elbow length sleeve. B: long sleeve.

Pattern Sizing: 6-22; I cut a 16 in the bodice and graded to somewhere an 18 and 20 in the hips for a little wiggle room.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Of course!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very. I looked at them before beginning construction but I don't know that I looked at them after that.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I really liked how well drafted this pattern is. I did have a little trouble getting the middle inset pieces lined up. I really dislike slip stitching in general and it seemed like the midriff was never ending. Oh and the sleeves were such a pain. I ended up with a tiny bit of puckering at the top of each sleeve cap but since it happened on both sides it really looks like it was meant to be there.

Fabric Used: Cotton Blend Twill in Black

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I shortened the skirt and graded the hips up about one size.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I really love how this dress turned out and I still would like to sew one for myself. It was odd making something for someone else that I hadn't already done before but it wasn't as nerve wracking as I thought it would be.

Conclusion: I really like this dress and think it makes an awesome little black dress. I was stoked to watch Private Practice few nights ago and see Naomi wearing a black dress with similar bodice pleating! I am sure that my client will love it as well.

Bottom Line:
Fabric: 2 yds @ $1.95/yd= $3.90
Notions: facing and thread from stash
1 invisible zipper $1.75
Total Cost to Make: $5.65
Cost Sold for: Not telling you ; )